The Town of Miami Lakes is seeking a highly motivated and energetic undergraduate or graduate student interested in transportation and sustainability planning. The intern will assist the Senior Transportation Manager/Chief Resiliency Officer on various projects related to transportation and sustainability. The intern will assist with primary and secondary data-gathering, report-writing, research, plan development for special projects and provide administrative support. The intern must be able to work in a team environment and must demonstrate organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills. The goal of this position will be to gain experience in community planning projects related to transportation and sustainability.
The successful candidate should be able to perform the following functions:
- Support the implementation and coordination of various projects identified in the Town’s 2015-2025 Strategic Plan.
- Ability to research policies and best practices in transportation and sustainability, identify potential improvements, and present conclusions.
- Collect and organize data for evaluation for transit operations analysis.
- Ability to apply basic transportation and sustainability principles to their work.
- Assist in the preparation of plans, studies, reports, presentations, and other materials, as needed.
Work Hours: 20 hours per week, potential for additional hours
Pay: $10.00 hour
Qualifications: The successful candidate will have the following characteristics and skills:
- Full-time enrollment at a local university in an accredited undergraduate or graduate program in Urban Planning, Public Administration, Geography, Civil Engineering or a related field.
- General understanding of the concepts and techniques in transportation and sustainability planning.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to problem-solve and to complete projects within specified timeframes.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels, with staff at partner organizations, and with the public.
- Ability to self-motivate and work productively, independently, or with a team.
- Working knowledge of Word and Excel.
- Working knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), not required, but preferred.
To Apply: Please send a letter of interest and resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org