The Artificial Intelligence Summer Institute (AISI) will collaborate with Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) scientists on solving problems of national and scientific interest, engage in educational and professional development opportunities, and explore careers at national laboratories.
As part of the summer institute, they are seeking students who will develop their skills to help solve scientific challenges using artificial intelligence, machine learning, and data science.
- Learn from ORNL mentors who have expertise in artificial intelligence and machine learning and/or domain sciences such as physics, materials, or biology.
- Participate in educational and professional development seminar series.
- Take part in scientific communication exercises to prepare them for a career in scientific research, including oral and poster presentations and technical reports.
- Full-time appointment
- Start date of June 10, 2019 and ending date of August 16, 2019
- Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or doctoral degree received within the last 6 month(s).
- Have a cumulative minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Be 18 years of age.
- Be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR) at the time of application – LPRs are subject to DOE clearance approval for laboratory entry.
- Have medical insurance effective for entire term of appointment – information on effective dates during appointment period will be required at time of appointment acceptance.
- Have two academic or professional recommenders.
- Have ORCID identifier number at time of acceptance.
- Computer Sciences
- Life Health and Medical Sciences
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Other Physical Sciences
Stipend Rates: Stipends are based on academic level as shown below and paid on a biweekly schedule. You should be prepared to cover all expenses for the first 30 days of your appointment.
- Current undergraduate student – $700 per week
- Recent bachelor’s graduate – $750 per week (proof of degree required for stipend rate)
- Current master’s student – $850 per week
- Recent master’s graduate (proof of degree required for stipend rate) – $900 per week
- First or second year current Ph.D. student – $900 per week
- Third year or higher current Ph.D. student or Ph.D. candidate – $1,175 per week
- $150/week housing allowance (paid with biweekly stipend) and limited travel reimbursement (up to $250 each way) for full-time participants if permanent address is at least 50 miles from Oak Ridge.
- Learn more about Housing for ORNL Research Participants
Application Deadline: Please apply before March 31st, 2019