Posted By

FIUSports had the chance to meet and sit down with FIU women’s basketball newcomer, Kylee O’Hara , to discuss her journey to Miami, college life at FIU and her disinterest in hockey.

A native of Ajax, Ontario, Canada, O’Hara comes to FIU after a highly successful prep career that led her to receiving an invitation to the Canadian National Team training camp. The all-around player averaged 17 points, eight rebounds, three steals, two blocks and two assists per game at Henry Street High School.

Now a freshman at FIU, O’Hara is majoring in Education and has her sights set on the 2018-19 women’s basketball home opener against Miami that tips off on Nov. 6 at 7 p.m.

Here are some questions FIUSports had for O’Hara:

Q: What’s the biggest difference between Canada and Miami?
A: “Definitely the weather. It’s pretty warm here and very, very cold in Canada. It’s going to be unfair this winter when I am in the warm weather and my family is back home shoveling snow.”

Q: As a resident Canadian, are you a hockey fan? 
A: “No, no, no. Not at all. I am an NBA fan, so I have to pull for the Toronto Raptors. They’re still upset about DeMar DeRozan getting traded, but I think Kawhi Leonard will do well.”

Q: How is adjusting to college life here at FIU?
A: “It’s going pretty well. I am in American government right now, which is a little different than Canadian government, but I am doing pretty well I would say.”

Q: What do you want to work on most before the start of the season? 
A: “I would say my shot consistency and developing more into a guard. I played more as a forward back in high school, so I’m trying to transition into a three position.”

Q: What was the biggest reason why you came to FIU?
A: “The number one thing was the coaching staff. They all showed me a lot of support especially with me on the Canadian National Team. I developed a really good connection with them, so it feels like my home away from home here.”

The 2018-19 season will commence on Tuesday, Nov. 6 as the Panthers host Miami at the Ocean Bank Convocation Center. Tipoff starts at 7 p.m. ET between the Panthers and Hurricanes.

FIU’s full schedule of games with tip-off times can be viewed here. For fans interested in purchasing tickets for the 2018-19 season, visit here.