Posted By

CASE Artist-in Residence, Sam Moore and his wife of 37 years, Joyce Moore, were invited guests for Wednesday’s state funeral for President George H.W. Bush at the Washington National Cathedral.

The Moores came to know President Bush when Sam performed at an inaugural event co-produced by Joyce in January 1989.

The couple traveled to the nation’s Capitol earlier this week to pay their respects.

“I’m going to get a chance to sit at the last calling for this great, great, great man. Can you believe it? You don’t know how that makes me feel,” said the soul music legend.

Sam Moore performed for the the Bushes’ 50th wedding anniversary celebration in 1995 and played the One America Appeal hurricane relief concert at Texas A&M University in October 2018 at an event that was a combined effort of the then-five former U.S. living presidents Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama to help with relief efforts in the wake of hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria.

“To have met, and been around, and shared a frontal position with presidents, queens, princesses, prince, special people, that we didn’t walk the same streets together, it tells me, I guess, my voice said a lot.”

Read the Miami Herald article for the full story.

Rest in peace Mr. President.