Position Title: Natural Resource Management Assistant
Location: Biscayne National Park, Homestead, FL
Start Date: 5/20/2019
End Date: 8/8/2019
- The DHA Resource Assistant will complete in-depth analyses of Biscayne’s reef-fish data (from 1999 to the present) to support the park’s Fishery Management Plan and impending park-specific fishing regulatory changes to be implemented by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC).
- Examine spatial and temporal trends in fish populations within the park.
- Understand and document spatial and/or temporal trends in numbers, distributions, and sizes of reef fish, specifically those targeted by recreational and commercial fisheries; findings will help guide the development of park-specific fishing regulations to be co-developed by the NPS and the FWC.
- Work methodically within a pre-established database and the R software program to analyze data individually for a series of targeted species as well as at a multi-species community level.
- Develop the basic scripts and protocol needed to ensure future years’ analyses can continue uninterrupted and in the same manner as previous years.
- A mandatory Career Workshop will be held in Washington DC from August 4 – 8, 2019.
- This project is very technical in terms of database management and statistical analyses.
- Must be an upper-level undergraduate student or a graduate student who has: i) successfully completed at least 2 statistics courses and ii) experience using the R software program.
- Experience in other software programs, such as ArcGIS, Excel, and PowerPoint are not required, but would certainly enhance the products produced by the intern.
- Comfortable with spending long hours in front of a computer doing a repetitive sequence of steps to complete analyses.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent legal resident (“green-card-holder”) between the ages of 18 and 35 years old.
- Prior to starting this position a government security background clearance will be required.
They will review applications in January and February 2019 and will notify qualified applicants for interviews. Final decisions will be made by March 2019.