Posted By

There has been a lot of catching up on with soccer player, Santiago Patino. We previously mentioned how as a senior, Patino was set to graduate with a sports management degree and could possibly be headed into the MLS. Well, he did just that.

Santiago Patino set a record for the highest draft slot in FIU history by being selected third overall pick to Orlando City SC.

In the past two years, only three NCAA men soccer programs have had players drafted among the top 12 picks by Major League Soccer: Indiana, Syracuse, and FIU.

Patino had an outstanding soccer career at FIU with 51 game starts, scoring 37 goals, and nine assists. He finished third in the nation in goals per game as a junior, and 11th as a senior.

As a native of Medellin, Colombia, and raised in Orlando since age 12 – Patino was thrilled to be drafted that high by any team, but it was even more special that it was his hometown team.

He was cheered on at this year’s draft by his mother, stepfather, agent, and FIU coach. Patino is ready to take on any obstacle that comes his way to play the sport that he loves.

“I have the physicality. If I get the opportunity, I know I will do well. But if things don’t go my way, I will learn from it and move forward.”

Santiago Patino

Go Panthers!

Find out more on Patino’s MLS journey in The Miami Herald.