As part of its tradition, the 15th Annual Workshop on LC/MS/MS Applications in Environmental Analysis and Food Safety meeting travels between Barcelona, Spain and an alternate location in the United States. This year, the workshop took place at the university’s Miami Beach Urban Studios on Lincoln Road and included over 60 local, national and international participants.
Hosted by the Southeast Environmental Research Center (SERC) the conference provided a forum for scientists, researchers, government agencies and industry partners to share innovations and discoveries. Topics discussed included liquid chromatography, gas chromatography and mass spectrometry as it relates to environmental and food safety.
The two and a half day workshop included four sessions per day and a poster session. Participants included scientists and students from:
- Miami-Dade County Medical Examiner Department
- University at Buffalo Department of Chemistry
- University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
- Stanford University
- Agilent Technologies
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Department of Environmental Chemistry at IDAEA-CSIC in Barcelona
- Chung Shan Medical University in Taiwan
- Bruker Scientific
- New York State Department of Health
- US EPA
- Colorado School of Mines
- Syracuse University
- Duke University
There were three student oral presentation winners and three student winners for poster presentations. The students who won the Cambridge Isotope Laboratories Oral Presentation awards were:
- First Place Best Oral Presentation: Elisa N. Shoff (graduate student from FIU’s Dr. Francisco Fernandez Lima’s lab)
- Second Place Best Oral Presentation: Brian Ng (graduate student from FIU’s Dr. Piero Gardinali’s lab)
- Third Best Oral Presentation: Clement A. Olanrewaju (graduate student from FIU’s Dr. Francisco Fernandez Lima’s lab)
The students who won the Elsevier and SERC Poster Presentation awards were:
- First Best Poster Presentation: AM Abdullah (graduate student under FIU’s Dr. Kevin O’shea)
- Second Best Poster Presentation: Laura D. Brunelle (graduate student from the University at Buffalo)
- Third Best Poster Presentation: Logan Running (graduate student from the University at Buffalo)
To learn more about the conference and access conference materials, please visit the event website.
The conference was sponsored by Thermo Fisher Scientific, Bruker, Sciex and Waters Inc. It would not have been possible without Elsevier, Cambridge Isotope Laboratories Inc, FIU’s Office of Research, Sea Level Solutions Center and the College of Arts, Sciences & Education.