How writing helps alumna and pro golfer cope

Meghan MacLaren
Photo courtesy Getty Images, Ross Kinnaird 

When Meghan MacLaren isn’t on the golf course trying to get a hole in one, she’s sharing her thoughts and the challenges she faces as a young woman on her eponymous blog.

As an international student from England, MacLaren played on FIU’s golf team and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in English. She began writing in school and instantly found it as a way to escape and sort her thoughts.

“It helped develop a different part of me, away from golf,” MacLaren told GolfChannel. “The more you write, the more you develop your own style.”

Her writing focuses on the struggles she faces as a professional golfer and young adult, while also sharing some opinion pieces, such as the issues on equal pay.

“The actual act of writing is where, I guess, I come closest to finding answers to what I’m wrestling with or making sense of what I’ve been thinking about. The reason I want to write, a majority of the time, is because something’s been niggling at me.”

Through the ups and downs of her personal and golf life, MacLaren turns to her writing as a coping mechanism. Her blog dives into issues that most people can relate to and hopefully find their own sense of understanding.

This article first appeared in GolfChannel on Nov. 12, 2019.