FIU alumna takes the helm of Amigos For Kids

Karina Pavone

Amigos For Kids has selected FIU psychology alumna Karina Pavone as the organization’s new executive director.

More than 300 people applied to lead the South Florida organization which is dedicated to strengthening families and preventing child abuse and neglect. Pavone was unanimously selected by its board of directors.

“With Karina’s vast experience and solid reputation of excellence, we feel she is uniquely qualified to lead Amigos For Kids into the future,” stated Jorge A. Plasencia, co-founder and chairman emeritus of Amigos For Kids. “Under her leadership, we are confident the organization will build on its strengths and develop new programs and partnerships while solidifying existing programs and relationships with longtime partners and supporters,” said Plasencia.

Pavone joins Amigos For Kids after 25 years of work as a therapist, as well as a non-profit and higher education administrator. She has held various leadership roles throughout her career including 16 years with Miami Dade College (MDC). Most recently, she served as associate dean at MDC’s School of Continuing Education and Professional Development, where she helped some of the most at-risk students pursue their educational goals and aspirations.

“I am honored to have been selected to lead an organization that epitomizes my passion for helping children and families and one that is driven by such a clear purpose,” Pavone said.

“In my professional and personal experience, I have been privileged to witness the positive impact of good people giving back to the community. It is in the spirit of giving back and making a difference in the lives of others, that I begin my work at Amigos For Kids. I am excited to work with the exceptional team at Amigos to help the organization meet the challenges of the next decade.”

Pavone received a bachelor’s degree in Psychology from FIU. She received a master’s degree and Ph.D. in clinical psychology from Albizu University.