CASE Homework Helper tutor gets help from students, too

The year 2020 brought many challenges. One in particular parent’s didn’t think they’d have to face was becoming their child’s teacher.

FIU’s College of Arts, Sciences & Education answered the call of FIU employees and students seeking virtual assistance and relief with their children’s schoolwork through the CASE Homework Helpers initiative.

Kyra B.

While juggling her own virtual classes and the stress of the pandemic itself, Kyra Burrus dedicated four hours a week to tutoring eight students.

Burrus started out her undergraduate career as an architecture major but switched to math when she wanted to deal more closely with numbers.

“I almost lost the passion for my classes, but helping the students reminded me of where my passion for math started,” Burrus said.

While becoming a teacher isn’t in the cards for Burrus who hopes to become an investment analyst on Wall Street, she loves the one on one time with students who genuinely want to learn.

“It’s really fun to work with them and to re-learn things I thought I forgot but didn’t.”

This semester, Burrus is dedicating six hours a week to the CASE Homework Helpers initiative.

“My son has received math help and it has been fantastic,” parent Abraham Quant said. “He not only likes the help but we have seen improvement with math school material.”

For more information on CASE Homework Helpers and to register, click here.